Saturday, August 13, 2011

'You may have to hurt the kids now to help them for the future'

As I pointed out this spring in The Oklahoman, public education is being redefined. And there are some people who are not coping well with the reality de novo.

One example is the retired Oklahoma educator Edwin Vineyard, who says would-be pension reformers in the Oklahoma legislature probably "should die and go straight to hell." (Who knew liberals even believed in hell?) Another example comes from a group called Save Our Schools. Read the comments yourself and tell me if the members don't remind you of horse-and-buggy drivers, vaguely aware (and fearful) that Henry Ford is cooking up something down the street, but not really sure what to do about it.

Of course, one option is to "hurt the kids." As one member wrote:
I know I am a retired teacher and are behind the times, but I remember when we got thousands of teachers to take off (Blue Flu) to go to the Capitol to show support for State Question 1017. It was enacted. I appreciate all the teachers concerns, but with the present Republican controlled Government, the only way to get them to listen is to do something that will hurt them. I can promise you that not 1 letter from teachers is even read as Claudia's efforts have proven. Using the polls won't do any good because there are too many conservative voters. Some kind of work slow down or stoppage to put the school districts in jeopardy of failing (A,B,C,D,F). If school districts start failing by this ridiculous process and losing funding, the parents (or voters) will get something done. Teachers have no power whatsoever politically in Oklahoma. You have to use what you have and that is that you still control the classroom. I hate to say this, but you may have to hurt the kids now to help them for the future. How could teachers be demonized any worse. I think it is to the point that you will have to risk your jobs to get action. We were told not to go the Capitol for 1017, but did any way. Time for acting, not talking or you are going back 50 years. I know I am going to get hammerd, so please be gentle.

2 comments:

Stuart Jolly said...

Hey Brandon...if you don't mind, I'd like to use this in our next newsletter. It's just too shocking not to get it out to our AFP members and friends. I'll even plug the Choice Remarks site of course. Thanks!
Stuart

Brandon Dutcher said...

Stuart: Go for it.